Thursday 23 May 2013

What I learned

Last week at college we had what is called Research Week.  We didn't have any classes, and every year level had a major assignment due at the end of the week (except 4th years, they just have lots of work all the time as far as I can tell). 

For first years it was a New Testament Essay.  In New Testament we've been studying Mark, Ephesians and 1 Peter, so the essay topics cover things from these books of the Bible.  The topic I chose comes from 1 Peter.  The question was about the resurrection and I chose it because I often forget about the resurrection when I think about an outline to the gospel, I don't really understand it's full significance and I wanted to understand the resurrection better. 

So here are some things that I've learned through doing this essay:

It is because of the resurrection that believers can also have new life (1Peter 1:3-4).  God gives us new birth into a living hope and an inheritance in heaven through Christ’s resurrection.  

The resurrection is part of the reason we should change our behaviour when we become a Christian.  The resurrection gives us new birth so we should act in a way that is fitting for this new life.  This excludes things like malice, envy, greed, slander (1 Peter 1:22-2:3).  We should also live lives that are fitting of our inclusion into God’s family.  We should be imitators of our Father in heaven, sharing the family resemblance of being holy (1 Peter 1:14-16)

The resurrection gives us assurance of our salvation.  It give us hope and faith in God (1 Peter 1:20-21). 

The resurrection saves us, and this is symbolised by baptism (1 Peter 3:21). 

Jesus’ resurrection qualifies him to judge the living and the dead at the end of time (1 Peter 3:22). 

Bibliographic programs rock (when they actually format all your references correctly...)

I am a procrastinator (okay, I kind of already knew that) and work much better when there are others working around me. 

What you learn through doing the assignment is more important than the grade you get for it. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you listed things about the Bible and about life!

    ReplyDelete